Yes, cell phones should be used in the learning process.
1. Students have an interest in and enjoy using their cell phones. Educators can capture that interest and enjoyment by using cell phones as an instructional tool.
http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/22695
2. Students are familiar with the concept of a cell phone and know how to use/navigate their phones. The program, software, application to be used with the cell phone may need to be taught to the students, but no instructional time is needed to teach the operations of the cell phone. http://www.helium.com/items/1862166-cell-phones-in-education
3. Cell phones are versatile and can be used in many ways to enhance and support the learning process, e.g., calculator, take photos of notes on board, take photos of applications/examples of content outside the classroom, and ability to research information without computer access.
http://thinkingmachine.pbworks.com/w/page/22187713/Think-Mobile-Phones-for-Learning
If you would incorporate cell phones into your lesson, how would you make sure that students are actually using them for class?
ReplyDeleteMike,
ReplyDeleteI think you make some great points. However, what would you do if not all students have cell phones to use in class?
Andrea, ensuring that the cell phone is being used strictly for academic purposes would be a difficult task. Besides having assignment responses electronically tracked online, the honor system will eventually need to be applied. Only juniors and seniors would be allowed to use cell phones, since they are more mature and more responsible.
ReplyDeleteBrenda, the cell phone would need to be one of many possible input devices that can be used for the assignment. This way no students would be embarrassed and the assignment can still be completed.
ReplyDeleteMike, I like your answer to Brenda, and think that this sounds like differentiation!
ReplyDeleteMy question to you is - What types of activities/assignments do you feel would utilize the technology of the phones and add to learning in the classroom? I think we will see this in the future, but right now, I am struggling to see additional benefits over the current technology available in schools.
Another thought to the honor system, the students who will participate with their cell phone in class, would have to sign a classroom contract of some sorts that outlines use and behavior.
ReplyDeleteHow do you make sure that the honor system is followed?
ReplyDeleteThe only solution I have right now to monitoring the honor system would be to perform random spot checks to ensure that students are only using their phones for educational purposes during class time. I'm sure issues of privacy would come up, but I don't know what the policies and procedures are regarding inappropriate cell phone use. Can a teacher have a student scroll through their texting history? Can a teacher confiscate phones? Until I have answers to these questions, I don't have a full-proof answer to ensuring that the honor system is followed.
ReplyDelete